Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Amanda's Journey


Greeting fellow Weight Watchers!

Looks like winter finally decided to arrive for us. That means we have one final stretch of getting creative with our physical activity in order to maintain and achieve good health.

I hope you all survived the Super Bowl and stayed on plan.

I have a special interview for you. Below is an interview with one of our successful members, Amanda J. Amanda was nice enough to agree to let me give her some questions about how it is going for her regarding Weight Watchers. So here we go…

ML: You have lost close to 70 pounds. You have been making great progress in your journey to a healthy weight. Did you have an “aha“moment that got you started?

AJ: I had been going to Weight Watchers meetings for months and I didn’t really have an “aha” moment. I just woke up one Saturday morning in July and said to myself, “I’m going to quit drinking pop” (which was a huge task!) I made it through the morning and afternoon and by that evening I had such a headache I gave in and had not one, but three Dr. Peppers! The next day I decided to try again and haven’t had any pop since. Along with that, I decided to work in eating better and exercise.

ML: Are there things about the WW plan that are easier than you thought they would be?

AJ: The fact that you can eat whatever you want makes it easy. All the tools available to help figure points also make it easy. Well, as easy as this can be. J

ML: Are there things that are harder than you thought they would be?

AJ: The hardest thing was making food choices that are healthy for me and leave me enough points at the end of the day to not be starving to death. It is getting easier now, however.

ML: I’ve noticed that you seem excited to weigh in each week. How important is the weigh in regarding staying on track?

AJ: Weighing in weekly keeps me motivated, lose or gain. The times I lose makes it that much more motivating to keep doing what I’m doing and keep losing weight. The time I gained, it motivated me to get back on plan and work harder the next week. Weighing in is just as important to me as staying within my daily points target.

ML: What are a couple of the most important things that you get from coming to the meetings? (Other than the awesome jokes told by the Leader – that’s a given!)

AJ: The information received during the meetings is helpful. I also enjoy hearing the other members’ victories and struggles.

ML: You are in the journey working toward your goal.  Are there any positive life changes that you have already noticed?

AJ: I have gone down 2-3 pant sizes. I find it easier to go workout than before; I actually enjoy it.

ML: Do you break your goals down into small increments, or just think of staying on track toward your ultimate goal weight?

AJ: When I first started, I broke my goals into small increments. My first mini goal was when I got to 20 pounds I would get the Brazilian Blowout done to my hair.  Since then, really, my goals have been to get to the 5 pound mark.   I will probably reward myself with something when I hit 75 pounds and then at 100 but I haven’t decided exactly what that will be J.  I have recently figured out my ultimate goal weight and the fact that I’m under 100 pounds away from which has really excited me. J

ML: How do you stay motivated?

AJ: I stay motivated by not wanting to go back to being as overweight as I was when I first started. I realize I have a long way to go yet but being able to look back and see the physical changes keeps me motivated to look forward and keep trucking.

ML: We have talked about doing a 5K together this summer. Do you have other activity plans that you are looking forward to being able to do?

AJ: I haven’t really thought about this much. I do think it would be pretty neat to be able to complete a sprint triathlon or something.

ML: What are you most looking forward to when you hit your goal weight?

AJ: I’m looking forward to being able to shop in the “normal” sized sections and being able to buy pretty much anything I want.

ML: What would you tell someone who wants to go down the path you are on, but hasn’t started yet?

AJ: I would tell them to go for it. The hardest part is to get started. Once you hit the 20 pound mark you will be so motivated you will want to keep going. There will be days where you get off plan but all you have to do is get right back on the next day (or meal).

ML: Wow! Thanks Amanda. All of your fellow Weight Watchers are really proud of you and are inspired by what you are doing. I wish you all the best as you continue on your journey to good health.

Well there you have it, wisdom from one of our own.

Being overweight is hard.
Losing weight is hard.
Pick you hard!

Troy (aka Macho Leader)
February 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment